Online Board обновлено 3 минуты назад

Visa control

Citizens of the CIS member states enter Ukraine, exit from Ukraine and transit its territory without a visa on the basis of the passport document for travelling abroad.

However, according to Ukrainian intergovernmental agreements on mutual travel of citizens, for citizens of the Republic of Belarus and the Russian Federation the internal passports shall be used.

Documents proving the person’s identity and confirming the citizenship of Ukraine are:

  • Ukrainian citizenship passport;
  • Ukrainian citizenship passport for travelling abroad;
  • travel document for children;
  • diplomatic passport;
  • service passport;
  • identity card for sailors;
  • identity card for crew members;
  • identity card for return to Ukraine.

Visa regime of neighbouring states


Ukrainian citizens cross the Russian border on internal passports with mandatory completion of an immigration card. The length of stay for Ukrainian citizens in Russia without registration has been increased to 90 days in the presence of an immigration card with a dated mark by a border guard. Immigration card forms are given to foreign citizens free of charge when entering Russia.


Citizens of Ukraine do not need a visa to enter the Republic of Belarus. Entry to the Republic of Belarus is exercised on general civil or international passports.


Ukrainian citizens enter the Republic of Moldova on foreign passports. Exceptions constitute residents of the border areas, who continue to cross the border on regular civil passports with a mark of the police on permanent residence in the settlements in these areas. Visas for citizens, both Ukrainian and Moldavian, are not required.


For trips to Poland Ukrainian citizens need a Polish visa. Visas are issued free of charge, and the holders of diplomatic passports do not need a visa. Foreign citizens entering Poland should have a medical insurance policy (covering, if necessary, the cost of treatment in Poland), or have a minimum amount of 300 zl (75 Euros) for each day of stay. If you arrive in Poland on the invitation – a policy is not mandatory for you, but then you must submit the original invitation. The exception to this rule is made for the citizens, transiting the territory of Poland. For them, medical policy is not required. In addition, you should have the necessary money amount: 100 zl for every day of your stay (but not less than 500 zl), and members of tourist groups, whose presence is paid – 20 zl for every day of your stay (but not less than 100 zl). Final approval for entry into Poland is issued by border guards after the customs control.


For children under 18 years of age, persons studying in educational establishments, citizens permanently residing in the border areas, as well as vehicles staff, who are members of the international road and rail passenger and freight transportations, visas are issued free of charge. Visas are not required for crew members of aircraft, civil aviation and marine vessels engaged in international freight or passenger transportations, as well as holders of diplomatic and service passports. All the other citizens of Ukraine enter Romania on visas. For residents of the border areas in the presence of documentary evidence of residence, visas are issued free of charge, except for the visa fee which is about $ 7.


For a trip to Hungary Ukrainian citizens need a visa, except for holders of diplomatic and service passports. The visa is issued by the Consulate of the Republic of Hungary in Ukraine free of charge. The list of required documents for registration of your trip includes: international passport (for children – the child’s travelling document valid at least another 6 months), photo 4 × 4 cm, not more than 6 months old. Personal information is submitted 7-10 days before your planned trip.


Citizens of Ukraine must have a visa to visit Slovakia. Visa is issued at the Embassy of the Slovak Republic in Kiev within 10 days. To obtain a visa you need an international passport valid not less than 3 months from the date of your return from the trip, 2 photos 3,5 x4,5 cm, personal information. Import and export of local currency is not allowed. There are no limits on import and export of foreign currency. The declaration is mandatory if the amount exceeds 150 thousand Slovak crowns or its equivalent in the currency of another country. Duty-free import allowed includes: the import of cigarettes – 200 pieces; alcoholic beverages – 1 litre; wine – 2 litres; personal belongings – up to no more than 30 thousand crowns (about $ 1000). For import of cultural and historical values the declaration is required, for export – the permission from the Ministry of Culture of Slovakia.

The European Union

As of 1 January 2007 the number of member-countries of the European Union is 27: Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, France, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Austria, Greece, Denmark, Italy, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Iceland, Poland, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Cyprus, Malta, Bulgaria and Romania.

Citizens of Ukraine must get a Schengen visa to enter the countries of the Schengen agreement (this group includes 15 out of the 25 EU countries). If you plan to visit several Schengen countries, it is desirable to get a visa at the embassy of the country where you plan to stay longer. A Schengen visa is issued for entry into any country of the Schengen agreement, no matter which country in particular you decided to visit. Schengen visas can be single or multiple. Schengen countries have a common database on foreign nationals who committed crimes in their territory. Therefore, it would be very difficult for the person who had violated the law in one of these countries to get a visa next time they try to enter this country as well as any other Schengen country.

Every foreign citizen who has received a visa and is entering the Schengen territory is checked for readiness to return to their country after the expiry date of a visa. When entering a Schengen country, you may be asked to produce, in addition to an international passport and visa, a return ticket, voucher of a travel agency, invitation, confirmation of hotel booking, and finally, the necessary amount of funds for the whole stay. This may be a certificate about buying currency or a record from the bank account served by the credit card. Unauthorized refusal to return within the terms stipulated by the visa shall be considered a serious offence. If the situation is such that you need to stay in the host country for an additional term, be sure to get advice on further action by the organization or person who had arranged your trip.

For travelling to Poland, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Cyprus and Malta Ukrainian citizens need a visa to the selected country. If your trip to Europe is not limited to these countries, further border crossing in the European Union is possible only if you have a Schengen visa. In case you have a valid Schengen visa and you are going through the territory of Poland or Hungary in transit (not more than 5 days), transit visa to these two states is not required.

Visas have a number of digits – that is the enciphered length of stay. What kind of visa you must obtain depends on the purpose of your trip. If you go for a few days, for example, to go sightseeing or take part in a scientific conference, you need a short-term visa. There are also transit visas. If you’re just making a change from one plane to another without leaving the terminal, the visa is not required, but if your stay in a foreign country involves at least moving from one airport to another, you must obtain a visa. As a rule, transit is given for 3 days, its conditions being: the shortest and non-stop way. When travelling around Europe, one must remember that the passport must be valid 3 more months after your leave home, and for the United States, this period is 6 months. Particular attention to the paperwork should be paid by those who receive group visas in travel agencies. For you the main thing is to check still in Ukraine whether your name, surname, passport number, date of birth, etc. are given correctly.

Detailed information:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine
(+38 044) 238-15-50